Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Snowmaggedon

I actually prefer the title "Snowverload," actually.

We are pretty much dug out (finally). Well, mostly. Our neighborhood does an admirable job of plowing the streets, since it hires plows to clean the streets and doesn't rely on the state and county plows (which were understandably overstressed). So in spite of the 30 inches of snow on Saturday, I went for a morning run on Sunday -- managed the full 4.5 miles, with a couple of slowdowns for patchy snow on the street, and a couple of stops to chat with friends and neighbors. Pretty amazing! And really beautiful, since the snow was still on the trees, but the sun was out and the sky was bright blue. So all in all, the snow didn't really affect my workout routine -- plus there was all that shoveling! Good thing, since I don't have a treadmill.

I have recently discovered I have a bit of a macho streak, and it was certainly well-fed the last couple of weeks. Even this morning, I got a "you're so brave!" shout-out from a woman walking to the Metro. I said to her what I've generally said to people when they are surprised to see a runner in the snow or even just in the cold -- once you're out there, it's really not that bad! In fact, in can be downright exhilarating. But I have to admit, I enjoyed that little ego-stroking, and it made me feel really tough.

No comments:

Post a Comment